Last year’s word was “Courage.” Courage helped me to start this blog and begin the coaching practice.
Even with the voice of my inner critic screaming at me a lot about how it would be perfect so I shouldn't try, I set up the website and started writing.
I continued to work with people in helping them to see their potential and find hope and inspiration in the midst of their dark times. And that brought me joy.
Courage also allowed me to be honest about my own struggles and write about it for public consumption. Some of you found comfort and encouragement in that. And that brought me solace that my own darkness could be used by God for the greater good.
I found myself saying through gritted teeth “You said you wanted courage? Well, act courageous and do it.” Sometimes that just got shortened to “Courage!”
This year’s word is “Persistence.” I thought I would share with you where I see the applications of this word are the start of 2014. It will morph and deepen, but for now, this is enough.
- Persistence in believing God is love. I will lean into the truth that God does love me and that he persistently, relentlessly pursues me with this love.
- Persistence in working towards goals. I will rebound from setbacks, persisting in meeting goals even if I am not perfect in my persistence.
- Persistence in showing grace to others and myself. I will remember to show myself the same grace that I show to others.
- Persistence in discovery. Finding new ways to help others discover their God-given talents and purpose.
- Most of all, I will be persistently persistent choosing to restart, or course-correct when I stall or drift.
So what will be your intention, your word for 2014?